Want a Better Sleep? Try the 3 Best Ways to Meditate!
Facing trouble while falling asleep? Well, in this journey, you’re not alone. Nowadays, insomnia has become a common problem for half of the population. For many people, sleep deprivation is a result of the stress of modern lives. In some cases, stress can worsen the problem of insomnia.
Meditation is a technique that will help you sleep better. As a relaxing technique, it can calm your mind and body and enhance inner peace. If done before going to bed, it can help you cure the problem of insomnia and bring the disturbed sleeping pattern on track.
How can Meditation Help with Sleep?
When you meditate, a lot of changes take place. It can strengthen the areas of your brain and calm your nervous system. It can also decrease emotional stress, reactivity, depression, and anxiety. These changes taking place in your body results in sound sleep.
Once you begin meditating daily, life will begin to take some interesting twists and turns. You’ll see your old habits will break down, and you’ll start sleeping like a baby.
How to Meditate?
Meditation is a simple technique that can be practiced anytime, anywhere. There is no need to have special tools or equipment on your side. The only thing that you need to have is a few minutes. Practice is the only key to make meditation your daily practice.
Just follow the three simple steps of meditating such as:
- Find a comfortable position and sit down.
- Close your eyes and breathe slowly.
- If a negative thought pops in your mind, ignore it, and focus on your breath.
Meditation requires patience. Start by meditating 2-5 minutes and then gradually increase the time and bring it to 15 to 20 minutes.
What are the 3 Best Ways to Meditate?
- Body Scan Meditation
Body Scan Meditation is a great way to release tension that you experience in your daily life. In this type of meditation, you develop a focus on every part of your body. The main goal of this meditation is to become more aware of your physical body. A regular act of this practice promotes relaxation that rewards you with a better sleeping pattern.
How to do Body Scan Meditation?
- Lie down in a comfortable position. Remove all the distractions from your room, especially your phone.
- Now, close your eyes gently and feel your breath.
- Focus on your face and soften all the facial muscles.
- Now, relax your neck and shoulders.
- Continue relaxing your entire body, including your arms, legs, back, and buttocks.
- In case your mind diverts, focus on your body as it is the only place where happiness resides.
- Mindfulness Meditation
Mindfulness Meditation teaches you to focus on the present. It involves an increase in your awareness including your breathing and body. If any negativity enters in, don’t let it enter and focus on you without judging.
How to practice Mindfulness Meditation?
- Remove all the distractions from the room where you are going to meditate.
- Focus on your breath. Inhale for 8 breaths, and then hold your breath for 8 counts, and then exhale 8 counts. Now, repeat this process 5-6 times.
- Pause, Relax, and exhale slowly.
- Don’t forget to focus on your breath.
- In case any thought pops up, slowly return to your focus.
- Guided Meditation
Guided Meditation is a type of meditation in which another person guides you throughout, right from the beginning till the end. In this, your yoga teacher or instructor will instruct you to breathe and relax your body. You will be asked to visualize beautiful things in your mind. This will enhance your creativity and innovation. There are certain meditation podcasts available on YouTube that you can watch.
How to practice Guided Meditation?
- Pick a recording or ask your yoga teacher to guide you. Dim the lights of your phone and keep all the distractions away.
- Start, lie down, and start breathing gently.
- Focus on what your guide is saying. Imagine the things and create your own gallery in your thoughts.
Experiencing a sound sleep can be a difficult nut to crack for most people. Stress and an overactive mind can be the major hindrances in the process of experiencing a sound sleep. Certain studies have shown that meditation can calm your nervous system and initiate quality sleep.
To make meditation your daily practice, you need to follow a proper schedule, turn off the gadgets that distract your mind, keeping your bedroom clean, quiet, and dark. Also, you need to limit the consumption of Caffeine and consuming heavy meals prior to going to bed.
It has been found that people who meditate and perform Yoga daily feel more centered, calmed, and relaxed. It’s great if it happens to you as well, however, if it doesn’t, there is no need to get down in the dumps.
Trust the Process, and;
Remember “Patience is the Key.”